How to assign default value to standard story point jira field?

Vish Shetty June 3, 2020

I am trying to assign default value to standard story point jira field (i.e. non-custom field) on creation of issue in a specific project.  Is there a way to do it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

Hi Vish - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can do that  by having an Automation For Jira rule update the field on create.

Vish Shetty June 3, 2020

Thanks John.  I am pretty novice at this, any further details on how to do the automation for jira rule update?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

Sure!

1. Go to Project Settings > Project Automation (on left-hand menu)
  2. Press Create Rule in top-right corner
  3. Select the Trigger "Issue Created" and press Save
  4. Next Select to add an Action, and choose "Edit Issue"
  5. Select the field Label
  6. Select the options icon (3-dots) - and choose "Add/remove values"
  7. Enter the value you want as a default and press Save
  8. Name your Automation and turn it on

Now when each issue is created, it will add the desired default label as long as the issue is created in that project. You might need to refresh the page after each issue creation to see it.

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, then instead of going to Project Settings, go to Jira Settings (cog icon on left-hand navigation bar) > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Vish Shetty June 4, 2020

Thank you so much John.  Unfortunately for us we are using server based Jira not Jira cloud.  I tried to find it on the left hand menu but after not locating and reading Jira documentation the project automation option is only available for Jira cloud.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

It is a separate add-on for Server. There is a Lite version that is free. But also a fully functioning paid version. 

Vish Shetty June 4, 2020

Thank you so much John, I will work with our Jira admin to get the lite version of Automation for Jira -Server installed and try it out.

Thanks

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events