How to access parent link issue's fields

Susheela.Kushwaha August 9, 2022

Hi,

I am trying to add a condition to a workflow. The condition is to validate if the issue's parent link issue has certain custom fields populated. 

Here is what I could figure out so far:  

issue.customfield_10018.value!=null

where customfield_10018 is parent link field.

Even above code does not give the expected output. The parent link on issue is populated but the above Jira expression keep returning 'false'.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2023

Hi @Susheela.Kushwaha 

In case you're still looking, this Advanced Compare Condition should work, with this smart value - {{issue.Parent Link.<Field>}}

I just tested this with Assignee, and it worked fine.

If you'd like more specific help with formatting the Condition, let us know!

Ste

Susheela.Kushwaha January 17, 2023

Thank you so much @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ It is been long but sure will give it a try.

angelicagavino January 17, 2023

I am also trying to access the Parent Link field (the field provided by advanced roadmap) in Cloud.
I am trying to create a Scriptrunner Validator that uses Jira Expression language instead. And the issue.customfield_XXXXX.value !=null is not working (but for other usual custom fields, this is working)
Even issue.customfield_XXXXX.key !=null is not working.

I think the smart value advanced comparison is only applicable for Automation right @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ??

Are you aware if Parent Link field is accessible via Jira Expression?
Thanks

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

No worries @Susheela.Kushwaha - let us know how it goes!

---

@angelicagavino - I think there's limits in Expressions like in JQL. Because "is not EMPTY" or "Null" is not an available option for Parent Link in JQL, so might be similarly unavailable in your use case.

Ste

angelicagavino January 25, 2023

Adding here for everyone's benefit (and to whoever will come across with same issue).

Turns out that you should use .data

Example:

issue.customfield_12345.data !=null

where 12345 -> ID for Parent Link custom field

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer