How to Set Assignee to a team of people to read the issue and also assign a person to take the issue

Charles Leung August 16, 2021

i have a team of 5 people, i like to assignee "everyone" to acknowledge this issue all together but only one particular person to take and act on the issue. 

for example.

five people in the office using the same toilet. 

the toilet is dirty and need to be clean. 

so i want to send an issue to tell everyone this issue. 

but assign only one person (possibly the cleaner) to clean the toilet. 

how do i do that ? 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

I would have a look at how you identify the group of people (team?) you want to nominate like this.

The obvious way to do it is have a user group that they are all in.  You could then add a custom field to Jira - a group picker would then let you choose the team to associate with the issue.  There are apps that provide more "team"-like fields than simple user groups as well, if you have one of them, use that instead of a blunt group.

But a better way to handle a team is usually to say "the team using this board to identify and track all their work".  Or, if it's a support team, "look at this queue of incoming work, it's your team's job to deal with it"

Charles Leung August 24, 2021

yes, i saw there is a way to put people into a team or teams. but what do I do with them the team? so far I don't see how to assign the team (the group of people) to do anything. Note: when the assignee is only assigned the task to one specific person as project lead. 

0 votes
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2021

@Charles Leung  Create a Distribution List of those 5 people and then create a Jira user out of it, Now you can assign Issues to that Jira User created using Distribution list and all 5 will get notified or in other words assignee to the ticket.

Now anyone who has time can reassign issue to themself.

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2021

I agree with @ASHU TYAGI , regarding the notification to DL and one can perform the work from the DL. but if any condition is applied only assignee can transit issue to another status, It may be a blocker due to DL as assignee.

when an issue created, we can add them as watchers automatically by using Automation for Jira, based on certain criteria's. if you have that plugin. so users will get notified. 

but about assigning work, we don't know who is ready to take it, as a project lead we can set a default assignee , and from here the default assignee can assign the task to the person who having less work load.

Thanks & Regards,

Anvesh Kagithala

Charles Leung August 24, 2021

thanks with that. right now i am putting them into a watcher list for whom need to know and then assignee for the one in charge. 

but how to do a DL list ? how different is it to a team group ? 

Suggest an answer