How to Base64 encode text in a rule action?

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2020

In order to make an outgoing Web Request the API I wish to call requires that I base64 encode the payload and supply the encoded text as a query parameter. 

My plan was to create a variable that contained the Base64 encoded text and then use that variable in the URL for the web request.  However, I do not find a string function for Base64 encoding.

Does anyone know of perhaps an undocumented string function or some other method to perform the encoding in an action?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2020

Hey @Michael Kuhl {Appfire} !

Unfortunately there's no secret base64 encode function. Definitely was worth checking, but all the encoders (HTML, JSON, XML, URL) are listed on the text fields documentation.

It's another layer, but one workaround might be using Zapier/IFTTT or the like to encode the data before sending it on to its final destination. Zapier can run code on webhook data for sure and it's just a couple lines to do the encode there.

Cheers,
Daniel

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2020

Thanks @Daniel Eads that's exactly where I ended up going (Jira Automation calling a Zapier webhook).  It had the added benefit of supporting my ultimate endpoint app which eliminated the need for manually creating the query with base64.

Suggest an answer