• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Jira Core Server
  • Questions
  • How is the total average cycle time calculated for a given project using Jira's Control Chart. When I look at the cycle time for all statuses I get one number, but when I average the cycle times for the individual statuses in a given project I get another

How is the total average cycle time calculated for a given project using Jira's Control Chart. When I look at the cycle time for all statuses I get one number, but when I average the cycle times for the individual statuses in a given project I get another

Stephen Markos August 8, 2016
How is the total average cycle time calculated for a given project using Jira's Control Chart. When I look at the cycle time for all statuses I get one number, but when I average the cycle times for the individual statuses in a given project I get a different number. Shouldn't this be the same?
For example: 
  • Average Cycle Time All Statuses: 6 weeks 9 hours 22 minutes
  • Average Cycle Time Individual Statuses:
    • Backlog: 3 weeks 5 days
    • In Progress: 6 days 21 hours
    • In QA: 5 days 12 hours
    • In Staging: 3 days 15 hours

I want to reliably determine the cycle time, not only for the project as a whole but also for the individual statuses. Any guidance you can provide would be helpful. 

4 answers

1 vote
Jakub Pierzchała
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Hi Stephen

Total cycle time is calculated as an average of sum of times each issue spends in each status.

It will not give you same result as sum of averages all issues spend in each status.

Uditha Maduranga September 11, 2019

Is there any API that we can get that cycle time ?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2020

Hi @Stephen Markos , 

Try our app Great Gadgets for Jira Server or Great Gadgets for Jira Cloud.

One of the 10 dashboard gadgets included is the Control Chart gadget, which is based on a Jira filter and is fully customizable. Optionally, it can display a Data table, which lists every issue and its numbers. 

See https://bitbucket.org/StonikByte/great-gadgets-add-on/wiki/Home#!control-chart-gadget

ControlChartGadget.png

Danut

0 votes
Stephen Markos August 8, 2016

Hi there,

Just go to Reports => Control Chart => Refine Report => Columns and then select that status you want to track. Hoping the data is accurate. Hence why I'm asking the question to the community here.

Stephen

0 votes
JIRA_USER August 8, 2016

Hi Stephen,

I am looking for a way to get each status Time. I am far behind you. Could you please asisst me to get the time in each status?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events