How do I transition a ticket to very bottom of next status?

Cory Schulz June 23, 2020

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to change the properties so that when I'm transitioning a ticket from one status to another that it goes directly to the bottom of the upcoming status column so I know what tickets have been moved to the succeeding column chronologically.

As of now it is so that if there are 8 tickets in the Work in Progress column and I want to transition the 4th ticket and the 2nd ticket (from the top) to the next status, Research Complete, and I move the 4th ticket first and then the 2nd ticket from top, the order of these tickets does not reflect when the ticket was moved there chronologically. It would still put the 2nd ticket above the 4th because of its position pertaining to the previous status.

Is there a way to change this? I want to know what tickets were completed based on when they transitioned to the Research Complete status and not based on their order from the previous status.

As you can see from the screen shots. the ticket moves in coherence with it's position from the previous status. It does not go directly to the bottom. As we have over 100 people working on this project, it would be confusing for them to have to move their ticket to the bottom of the initial status in order for it to transition to the very bottom of the next status.

I hope I haven't confused anyone. It's already doing my head in just trying to describe the issue.

Thanks very much,

Coryticket should be at bottom.PNGtest ticket.PNG

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2020

Hi Cory,

Here's my limited understanding of how all of this ranking stuff works. I can't even verify that I am correct in my assumptions because it makes my head hurt to think about it as well. 

My theory is that when you use the ORDER BY Rank for the board filter that it somehow ranks the issues in relation to other issues on the board as to when the respective issues come onto the board. 

So when you create a new card, it always goes to the bottom of the column (usually Backlog, but it depends on where that status is mapped and whether Backlog is even your first status after create). 

But from that point on, as you move a card from one column to the next, it drops into the order based on when the other cards in that column first appeared on the board. Somewhere in Jira cards are being tracked in relation to which boards they actually appear on and when. That's why Nave and Actionable Agile and other tools can run reports based on a board. 

Once again, that's just my theory - but prove me wrong. :-)   PLEASE! Or Validate me, lol - I don't care which. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2020

Hi @Cory Schulz 

I'm not aware of a way of doing what you're after, in the way you're describing.

The order that is present in each column is usually the Ranking built into Jira, and teams want the ranking to stay from column to column. Imagine a scenario where the highest priority ticket takes longer than other tickets to complete, when it is moved to the next column, suddenly it's at the bottom and not getting the attention that it requires - not what most teams would want.

Now ... how are you "analysing" the tickets? Describe what you do (or look for) when an item is moved to the Research Complete column. If it were at the bottom of the column, what would that signify? Answering this may help us to come up with an alternative.

Cory Schulz June 23, 2020

Hi Warren,

My graphic team needs to know which project to work on and which one comes next (based on the time it transitioned to the Graphic in Progress status.

The images are backwards and the second image uploaded is step 1. Tickets within the Dossierplus in Progress status transition to Graphic in Progress.

My issue is what @John Funk  stated. In this case, all tickets above the highlighted one would appear above the "test ticket" regardless of when they transition into the Graphic in Progress status.

This confuses our graphic team because it doesn't precisely portray which tickets were moved into that status chronologically.

What I am looking for I guess is a way to change the way tickets are ranked when they transition to this status. Ideally would be by Time of Transition or something like that.

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2020

Hi @Cory Schulz 

So your need is actually for people to visually see items on the board to give them the order of work? Then my first comment still applies, I'm not aware of a way of doing this.

As a manual workaround (which I'm sure you don't want to have to do), when a ticket is moved into the column, it can be dragged down to the bottom. But this relies on each person doing it and is far from ideal, I know

Cory Schulz June 25, 2020

Hi Warren,

Yea I don't think the manual workaround will be plausible for everyone working on the project. Maybe this is something Atlassian can add in the future.

Thanks very much for the help though.

1 vote
peter_kerschbaumer January 26, 2022

Hi @Cory Schulz

I have the same challenge. This is basic 101 in Kanban. My understanding is that the creation date has little to do with the ranking of a ticket. I have the same challenge and again Jira has shown it's limitations as a workflow management tool. For me it's a simple task tracking tool, which is not the same.

I know I'm complaining but actually there is no solution to that simple problem.

A rather good explanation of the lexo ranking in Jira can be found here:

https://www.jirastrategy.com/questions/how-does-jira-issue-ranking-work

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events