How do I tell if a screen is used in a workflow transition

Jeremy Schrecengost July 16, 2020

I have inherited a JIRA instance from a former employee and it is a mess. I have over 500 different screens and many of them not associated with screen schemes. I know that a screen can be used on a transition and not in a screen scheme but is there any way to tell what workflow it is used in? 

I want to start cleaning up the deprecated  screens and workflows but do not want to delete one that is currently being used.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2020

Hi Jeremy,

I don't use the Server version so I don't know if it looks the same or not. But in Cloud when I go to Settings > Issues > Screens in the list of "View Screens" there is a column for Workflows which shows which workflows the screen is used in. Hopefully there is something similar in the Server version. 

Jeremy Schrecengost July 16, 2020

I am running 7.13.11 server and there IS a workflow column but it is blank for every screen (even ones I know are being used)

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2020

You are probably hitting a bug

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-35881

Which seems to be related to a bad screen

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/illegalargumentexception-when-searching-for-issues-with-specific-statuses-or-when-loading-the-workflows-page-in-jira-server-295305313.html

Check your log for "Cannot find Screen with id" and if you see any entries, follow the instructions to fix the database.

Like # people like this
Jeremy Schrecengost July 20, 2020

I was hitting that bug and was able to fix it with that wiki article, thanks!

Suggest an answer