How do I query a sub-task for a specific issue type only?

Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

I would like to query the Issue Type and Sub-Tasks of that specific Issue Type only.  Is there a JQL for this?

3 answers

1 vote
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

You need a plugin to do this either scriptrunner or  JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports 

I have  JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports  plugin and using it since long time., its available for both server and cloud

In your case 

This query will return all sub tasks of issue type epic , you can change the issue type as per your need.

issue in subTaskOf("issuetype=epic")

Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Would I be able to pull in the Issue Type and the Sub Tasks of that Issue Type? 

Example, I have the Issue Type of Creative Request.  I want to pull the Creative Request tickets and the Sub-Tasks of those Creative Request tickets. 

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 23, 2019

@Angela Boston  why not just use:

issuetype="Creative Request" and issue in subTaskOf("issuetype='Creative Request'")
Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2019

I tried that and get this error message

Unable to find JQL function 'subTaskOf(issuetype='Creative Request')'.

Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2019

@Angela Boston  you need to install  JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports plugin

Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2019

Can this be accomplished with ScriptRunner?

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2019

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that the Enhanced Search for Jira Cloud plugin contains the subtasksOf() search function that you can use to query subtasks related to an issue.

The documentation page located here explains how this works in more detail and may be useful to help you to achieve your requirement.

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

0 votes
Libu B December 10, 2019

not sure if I understood your question correctly. Are you looking for something like this 

=project = ABC AND issuetype in (Bug, Story, Task, Sub-task)

Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2019

I'm looking to return the Issue Type and Sub-Tasks of that Issue Type only. 

Example, the Issue Type is Creative Request.  I want to pull all Creative Requests and the Sub-Tasks of only the Creative Requests issue types.  

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer