How do I get the recursive children and grandchildren from an initiative?

SR January 20, 2020

How do I get the recursive children and grandchildren from an initiative? I have several Sagas and each saga has several initiatives. I only need to get the entire list of issues linked to one of the initiatives to show in a portfolio plan. 

I have tried issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRecursive("Key = APB-2") 

and also issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfAllRecursive("Key = APB-2") 

Neither gives me the right results. It pulls issues linked to other initiatives like APB-12 or APB-3. Note that both APB-12 and APB-3 are linked to the same parent saga as APB-2.

All I am trying to get is the epics, stories, tasks and subtasks from the APB-2, so I can display the tree in the portfolio plan.

1 answer

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

Hi @SR 

Are you looking for a view like the following:

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 12.14.43 PM.png

SR January 20, 2020

@Deepanshu Natani something similar. The above shows the status. I am looking for the parent child hierarchy like the pic below.

Do you mind also sharing the query to your view?

JiraStructure.JPG

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Hi @SR 

The screenshot I shared above was displaying data using an add-on/ application called "Links Explorer Traceability & Hierarchy".

More details for this application/ add-on is available here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211120/links-explorer-traceability-hierarchy?hosting=server&tab=overview

The default Jira does not have feature to display the hierarchy that you need.

You need to use one of the add-ons like the above mentioned one.

SR January 22, 2020

Hi Deepanshu, I have access to Portfolio and I am trying to get this view in Portfolio. But it has some constraints on the number of projects (max 100) and number of issues (max 5000).

The query is where I am having problems, not displaying the results. The results include  children from both ABP-2 and ABP-15 even though I am asking only for APB-2 in the below query - 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRecursive("Key = APB-2") 

Expected results: 

ABP-2, ABP-10, SOC-34, SOC-39, SOC-50

Actual results: 

ABP-2, ABP-10, SOC-34, SOC-39, SOC-50, ABP-15, CLR-10, CLR-15

What am I doing wrong? How can I just get the expected results in Jira? 

SR March 6, 2020

I recreated the portfolio and it works fine now with the right hierarchy. Thread can be closed.

Suggest an answer