How do I add/edit board columns in a business project ?

Paul Shustak September 16, 2019

See attached screenshot. There is no visible link for board settings, only project settings.  Thank you.Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 12.35.03 PM.png

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Akash Lalwani
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2020

The way tasks and processes are managed in Jira Core is through workflows. In order to add/edit the column, you may need to add/update the workflow of the project. You need to be a Jira administrator to create and edit workflows.

Details: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/build-the-workflow-you-need/ 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/work-with-boards-in-business-projects/ 

Akash Lalwani
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2021

Thanks Nick, I have fixed the link :) 

Dan Chase August 6, 2021

So right now I'm trying to remove TODO from the board, but we still have a backlog, how? There's no button to edit the board on a business project.

Like Matt King likes this
Vince Knowles February 11, 2022

Yea and evidently when there are statuses and transitions removed, they don't remove from the board. You can add to it, or change what's there, but not remove what is existing. It is incredibly annoying and i feel like they did that intentionally - but for what reason - i cannot imagine. I spent a lot of time creating a workflow only to go back to my board with a crazy amount of columns on it.

1 vote
PvUtrix March 9, 2020

Have this issue also, I've created a new project and I'm the company admin. Wasting time, looking how to add a column on the board, annoying

Daniel Surmenian March 18, 2020

I am having this issue as well. It seems like some boards do not offer that functionality, unless I am missing it.

Michael Kittlitz May 22, 2021

We have the same issue with a "business"-project-type.
The hint on this page with the Workflows helped to setup a new column and new transitions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2021

As answered in other threads, business boards simply follow the workflow.  So you need to add status and transitions to your workflow to get it to show a new column.

Theo Brillhart October 22, 2021

Might help to know that if you have more than one Workflow in your Business project (e.g. one for Epics and Stories, and another for Tasks), only one of them will be represented on the Board, and it may not be the one you want.

Like Matt King likes this
0 votes
Abdulkarim Itani September 16, 2019

It should be visible at the top right hand corner of this screen

If you don't have configure in there, then you will need to talk to one of the board admins about getting yourself added to the board as an admin.

Abdulkarim Itani September 16, 2019

Visit Boards -> All Boards and check the table

Untitled.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events