How come reporters & watchers don't receive notifications for sub-tasks?

Asif Ajanee March 20, 2018

In Jira Software, our reporter and all watchers only receive notifications for the parent (User Story) when it is updated but when a sub task under the the user story is updated, no notifications are received. Can someone assist in explaining why and what's the solution? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2018

What does the notification scheme say for "issue updated"?

Jason Michaud April 20, 2018

Hi Nic

I'm having a similar issue where the sub-task notifications aren't being sent out to Reporters/Watchers. For Issue Created and Issue Updated Events - the Notification scheme includes All Watchers.

Also - the Notification helper within Jira Service Desk does not allow me to test it out using Sub-Task issuetypes - which is quite odd. 

Like Radek Janata likes this
Julien Philippon June 23, 2022

Hi ! 

I have the same Issue. 

Did you find a solution ?

Best regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

I suspect you'll find the people missing emails are not watchers.

Julien Philippon June 24, 2022

Do you think i'm an idiot ? I tried with my account too ! I didn't received it too. 

There is a huge number of thread on this subject  since 2018.

Do you have any other proposition Nic ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2022

I'm sorry, I should have explained my thinking there.

Reading the original question:

"our reporter and all watchers only receive notifications for the parent (User Story) when it is updated but when a sub task under the the user story is updated, no notifications are received"

I suspect the people who are not getting emails are watchers on the story, but not the sub-task.  Sub-tasks, while part of their story, are issues in their own right.  

The notification scheme only looks at the current issue, not parents or sub-tasks of the current issue.

Then there's the JSM part - JSM won't tell customers about sub-tasks because they're not the requests, and of course, won't notify Agents/developers about issues that aren't the current issue.

Julien Philippon June 24, 2022

ah ok !! No problem ! 

My issue is that my watchers are on the sub task and when the subtask is updated, we don't received any notification. 

It's really a problem of notification of subtask updated and watchers on subtask. 

The automation helper don't propose us our subtask that's really odd.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2022

Automation and notification schemes are separate things.  Which one are you using for the send of emails from (sub-task) updates?

Julien Philippon June 27, 2022

We use the notification Schemes for "ticket updated "

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2022

Hmm.  Ok, so "issue updated" will happen on every edit of any issue, irrespective of type, so the next question is to look at who is not getting notified.

Is there anyone who does get notified of edits on sub-tasks?  The people who should be getting notified are getting them for edits of story level issues?  They can definitely see the issues and sub-tasks in the project?  (Obviously, they are not customers. they are full Jira users)

Julien Philippon June 27, 2022

They are full user yes ! They are notifies if we tag them in a comment ! They can see all the tickets in a project.

Julien Philippon July 1, 2022

The odd part is that the notification assistant don't work with subtask.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events