How can i create a 3 level hierarchy between epis story and task?

Maham Faiz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 19, 2019

I am creating a board for QA/QC and want a 3 level relationship between epic-story-task.  I have been able to create epic story and task individually but I am clueless about creating link between these three.

4 answers

1 vote
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2019

In order to have 3-level hierarchy, you will have to configure Epic-story relationship first (which is available out-of-box). Once that is done, you can have sub-tasks under stories. So each story can have many sub-tasks. That would give you 3rd level hierarchy of relationship.

Alejandro Pimentel June 10, 2020

I was able to create Epic > Task > Sub-task in order to achieve the 3-level, now the problem is both Epics and Tasks come up the main Board of the project and it created confusion on the users. Is there any way to hide Tasks from the main board and just show the Epics?

Camp Bursztynowy Las October 20, 2022

@Alejandro Pimentel - have you solved it? I have the same issue... Thx!

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2019

Hello,

You can have a look at the Structure plugin. It will let you see all your issues in a hierarchy.

0 votes
Deleted user June 19, 2019

Hi @Maham Faiz ,

As Tony said Story and Task are both at the same hierarchy level in JIRA. Instated of Task, if you use sub-task then it comes under the hierarchy in JIRA. Like Epic - Story - Sub-task.  

Coming to linking of issues you can do this, Click on the more (...) button on the right side of an issue (more) -> Link -> Jira issue. For more information, you can refer to Linking issues page.

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gangavath.

0 votes
Tony Pham June 19, 2019

Maham,

Story and Task are both at the same hierarchy level in Jira. You can establish one-to-many relationship between Epic and Story/Task by update the Epic Link field or you can drag-n-drop the Story/Task from your backlog to the created Epics. You can also create a link between Story and Task but it will not in a hierarchy fashion.

Hope this answer help.

Tony Pham

Suggest an answer