How can I solve this error : "Unknown function: 'JIRA'. "

Ali Basar Demir October 15, 2019

Google Sheets Jira adds-on started to give errors today, with the error code "Unknown function: 'JIRA'." Normally, it was working properly but today it gave this error and is fixed after an hour. Right now, it gives the same error, could you help me to find a solution for this ?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2019

@Ali Basar Demir 

I see that you are a Cloud User, it could be that Atlassian was performing some tests or making changes. Or it could be a glitch happened in Jira.

You mentioned that it resolved by itself but started again. If by tomorrow it is not fixed I can share the link with you so that you can open a support ticket with Atlassian.

Best,

Fadoua

Ali Basar Demir October 16, 2019

@Fadoua 

It is fixed today, thank you so much for your support :)

Best,

Ali

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2019

@Ali Basar Demir Thank you for accepting my answer! Glad it is working fine today.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if it starts acting up again 🙂

Best,

Fadoua

4 votes
Max Makhrov July 1, 2020

This helped in my case:

1. delete all JIRA functions from the current file. Deleted "=" at the beginning of the formulas
  2. File > Make a Copy
  3. Go to Jira Addon and > Get issues from Jira > Import type = Jira()
  4. Enable Jira function via add-on
  5. Restore my Jira() function in the sheet, from step 1.
Diego Germán Marchetti May 26, 2023

Hello,
This really works!
thank you so much!

Steve Iaccheo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 19, 2023

This worked for me as well. Thank you @Max Makhrov

Stefan Rotariu January 17, 2024

This has worked for me as well!

2 votes
Alberto García Ramos December 1, 2019

This is a recurring problem.

In my case, it happens sometimes when I make a copy of a spreadsheet that uses JIRA plugin.

When I make a copy and then activate the plugin for the new copy, sometimes it doesn't recognise the JIRA function. 

I've tried to refresh, rewrite the function in the cell, closing and reopening the spreadsheet and nothing works. I had to delete the spreadsheet, make a new copy and pray so the new copy doesn't have the same problem, because it only happens sometimes.

Best, 

Alberto.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2019

@Alberto García Ramos

Are you a Cloud or Server User? 

If server what do you see or your Jira Admin sees on the Application log? Can you please copy and paste the line with the error after hiding any confidential information?

Best,

Fadoua

Carmen Rosa Ussi December 17, 2019

Getting same problem as reported by Alberto here. I'm using the Cloud version. I tried to refresh many time and it does not work.

Unknown function JIRA.png

I checked on the console, and there is a recurrent warning. More lines appear when clicking in enter button when the cursor is in that cell.

empty string unknown function JIRA.png

Carmen Rosa Ussi December 17, 2019

I created a new Excel file from a previous one and this time I activated first the JIRA function (before modify anything) and everything works smoothly. In the previous one, firstly I modified the file and then activated the JIRA function, and even clearing the cell and writing it back it didn't work anymore. @Fadoua I hope it would help to solve the problem.

Alberto García Ramos December 17, 2019

Hi @Fadoua, sorry for the delay.

I'm working with the cloud version. 

Thank you!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2019

@Carmen Rosa Ussi  Did you check the google sheets add-on page to see if there are any known issues?

I promise to spend some time either today or tomorrow to get more information about your issue guys.

Same goes with you @Alberto García Ramos

I will get back to both of you.

Best,

Fadoua

Like Carmen Rosa Ussi likes this
Nathan Huebner January 10, 2020

Hello. I'm having the same issue, but I am just now starting to learn how to use JQL in my Google Sheet. Everything is hooked up, but the =JIRA command isn't working. I used the "Refresh Data" and it detected it, but Google Sheets still rejects it.

Will keep trying.

Like KP likes this
Carmen Rosa Ussi January 13, 2020

Remember to enable JIRA function.

enabled.PNG

1 vote
Nathan Huebner January 13, 2020

You must be the document owner to enable the =JIRA function.

Having edit permission does not work.

Thanks for your answers, I have to copy the sheet and become the owner to get this working.

0 votes
Előd November 17, 2020

Hello

The add-on tab works, with JQL issues. But I still got the Error: Unknown function: 'JIRA' as a cloud user. And I would like to use this method.

1) I am the owner of the Sheets file.

2) It is inside one of ours shared drives in our organization.

3) And it is a must use, so I can not copy, move etc it.

4) I am an admin on our JIRA instance.

Thanks for your thoughts

0 votes
Phil_Parker January 19, 2020

@Alberto García Ramos @Carmen Rosa Ussi  I'm seeing the same issue when copying a Sheet (Jira Cloud). Have you found a workaround? I do not see the error when creating a "new" Sheet and using Jira function(). I get the error only when I copy a Sheet, clear function, enable function, then re-add function..still get error.

Alberto García Ramos January 20, 2020

Hi @Phil_Parker , 

Yes, the workaround is just deleting your copy, making another copy of the spreadsheet and hoping it doesn't fail. The error usually doesn't show up if you don't modify the name of the copy of the spreadsheet until you have refreshed the Jira() function.

Since I posted the comment about the problem, there has been an update in the plugin, but the issue is still happening.

I hope this helps.

Like # people like this
Edwin Meijer October 4, 2023

Perhaps coincidence, but the same trick (run the query before you rename the copy of the sheet) works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events