How can I migrate Jira data between 2 instances of different versions?

RTD5033 March 23, 2021

I have a requirement to move Jira data between 2 instances residing on different servers.  One instance is running on a REHL 6 server running Jira 7.1.9 connected to a MySQL 5.1 (Instance A).  Currently this instance is being utilized by our user group. 

The other instance is running on REHL 7, Jira 8.2.2 and MySQL 5.7 (Instance B).  

I need to maintain all server level configurations on instance B, but move all users, workflows, user stories etc from instance A to instance B.  

Is there some more ideal way to migrate this data between instances?  At the moment, have essentially tried everything I could find in the KB, with the exception of upgrading the older instance before attempting to migrate again.  (I have yet to do this because I would need to upgrade both the Jira instance and MySQL versions, as Jira 8.2.2 is not compatible with 5.1, and MySQL 5.7 does not run on REHL 6 without some massive headaches).

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

Hi @RTD5033 , welcome to the Community!

Is it out of the question to spin up a new VM running RHEL 7 with Jira 7 and migrate there first? Following the migration, you could upgrade to Jira 8 more easily before migrating once more, or just repurpose this instance as your new target environment.

>Jira 8.2.2 is not compatible with 5.1

Assuming you have proper environments for dev/staging, you could also try testing this. I believe Atlassian has simply noted that there is no support for versions of MySQL below v5.6, it doesn't necessarily mean they are not compatible.

RTD5033 March 24, 2021

Hello @Michael Andolfatto .  

Unfortunately, we don't have a proper 3 environment setup yet.  This is one of the other things that I am trying to achieve once I am able to move the data over to the new environment.  

You suggestion is certainly something that would be doable, so you are suggesting to install MySQL 5.1, and Jira Core 7 on a REHL 7 VM, move the data over, and go through an upgrade, and then move the data over again to its final destination?

RTD5033 March 24, 2021

The other added complexity of it is that, I only want to move over projects, workflows, user issues etc, no config things. 

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2021

>you are suggesting to install MySQL 5.1, and Jira Core 7 on a REHL 7 VM, move the data over, and go through an upgrade, and then move the data over again to its final destination?

That's correct, it's one option you have. Alternatively, you could just try upgrading your current environment to Jira 8 while still connected to MySQL 5.1 (or upgrade to 5.6) - Note: Take application server/database snapshots - as Atlassian says, this is not supported and upgrading Production without proper tests obviously has risks.

>The other added complexity of it is that, I only want to move over projects, workflows, user issues etc, no config things. 

What are "config things"? If you're looking for migration assistance I'd recommend purchasing a migration license (one month only) of Configuration Manager for Jira. You can create snapshots of the projects/issues you want to migrate and they will be bundled with only the configurations/users that are tied to them.

RTD5033 March 24, 2021

@Michael Andolfatto  by config things, I mean, look and feel, base URL, one is set up as sso, the other is not...etc.  

I will give your suggestion a try and let you know how things go.  Thanks for the help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events