How can I let an issue visible to involved users and not to everyone

Claudio Butturini April 10, 2020

In a jira project I set with the security level the possibility of opening "private tasks" and "everyone's tasks". Private tasks can be viewed and managed only by the reporter and the assignee (therefore two users at a time). Public are visible and manageable by all users of the project. To do this, I worked both on the authorization scheme and on the project security scheme. However, there is a case that I am unable to set, the task must be able to be seen only by some users of the Project and not by all, but also by users who are not reporters or assignees: a task therefore "restricted access". So I thought about choosing the @mentioned users, but I don't know how to give them the possibility to see the tasks in the safety schemes of the Projects. This is important in order to manage common projects but where there are tasks that can only be managed by some project users who are not known in advance. Can you help me understand how to do it?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

Hi Claudio - If I understand your need correctly, I would create a new Project Role like "Restricted Access" or something similar. Then on that project add users to that role who need to see the issues in addition to the Reporter and Assignee.

Then finally, update your Issue Level Security file to add the new Project Role. 

Hi John, I wish that in the same project there could be:
1. Issues visible to all users of the project - this OK
2. Issues visible only to the reporter and the assignment - this is OK
3. Issues visible for the reporter and the assignee + for all those involved for the specific issue and who are not known before the issue opens - I thought of getting this by giving the @mentioned users some particular visibility in the security scheme - I ask for help for this topic

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

Ah, you are in luck, my friend!  :-)

You can add multiple security levels to a single project - so in your case, you would have 3 separate security levels. 

Then you apply the appropriate security level to each issue that relates to the access needed. 

I am not aware of any way to add security levels for @ mentions. 

TKS John, but I know the security levels, I used them to make "private" -issue type 1 of my question + the "public" - issue type 2 of my question. But how do I configure a security level in which users see the issue only if they are involved - issue type 3 of my question?

When you open an issue, you don't always know who will work on it. Maybe even more than one user and not just the assignee. Is there a way to make the issue visible only to users who are important for the solution of the issue and who are not known in advance?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2020

Not real sure how you can set up security for users to access the issue if you don't even know who they are. :-)

What we have done is created a series of access fields (single user picker type) called Needs Visibility, Needs Visibility 2, Needs Visibility 3. Then my security level access includes those fields. 

So, when it becomes know who is working on the issue, you simply place that user in one of the custom fields and voila! they have access.  ;-)

Suggest an answer