Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I hide a column on the business board?

I have a business board set up and I can close issues but they continue to show on the board. How can I set it so 'Documented tickets' will no longer show on the board, but can be seen if needed?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Business boards are simple in their implementation.  They map columns for each status, and that's it.  There's no hiding or ignoring, they show you what you have. 

I am sorry, but you are stuck on this one, there is no hiding.

So you have a business board with completed items and they just show on there for months and the list of items that are closed/competed is miles long?

Jack Community Leader Jun 27, 2018

yes and no...

The business project comes w/ a default board when created that is, as Nic points out intentionally limited. These boards cannot be modified to have quick filters, etc. However, you can create a more fully featured Kanban board. In that board you can then add a quick filter to hide the 'Documented tickets' on demand.

LMK if that doesn't make sense.

Honestly I don't understand any board that doesn't allow you to close/hide etc the tickets. Who would think this is a good idea?  I cannot imagine anyone frankly! We opened a business board to take care of business items but I don't want to see the 100 things I have completed forever and ever.  We will make a kanban board and be done but really this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard!  And frankly I cannot imagine this would be such a hard feature to add!

Its like the service desk portal where the search is now in the upper right corner where no one even notices it and so everyone thinks they are landing on a blank page. Why would you take away the search from the center of the page, when it is a customer portal / knowledge base where you want people to come and search for answers before opening a ticket!  Some of the things Jira does makes me really shake my head.

Like # people like this

I think you've misunderstood the business boards.  They take their config directly from the project and don't have much flexibility because those processes don't need it.

All the more complex stuff is for doing things Agile, which is in Jira Software.

In Software, you either end a sprint with closed items (Scrum), or release a block of done stuff (Kanban) to clear out the done column.  With business boards, it's automated - if an issue in the done column is not touched for 14 days, it will vanish off the board.

I haven't confused anything. I just dont want everything left on my business board open forever.  The list of completed grows too long and you cannot manage it. If yoiu could simply close them like on other boards, there would be no problem. I am hard pressed to see any use for a board that nothing is ever closed/removed from sight!

I can see you did not read the last sentence in my comment.

Actually I did read it but I 1.  Don't want things to vanish off the board when done and untocuhed. If that is the feature, why not just let me have control. And 2 - that is not my experience....I have many things done for more than 14 days and there they sit.

Again, the business boards are intended to be simple and minimal.  You should not need "control".  For configurable boards, move to Software.

If you have issues that never go away, then you need to look at why.  As you're on Cloud, it's unlikely to be a bug (as no-one else is reporting it), so I suspect you're doing something that affects the removal rules.

Jack Community Leader Jul 04, 2018

@Susan Sanderson, so why not simply create a new Kansan for your project and add a quick filter to hide done? 

Hi @Jack , two questions.

1. I understand that the board is simplified, doesn't allow configuration, etc. I currently have 1 workflow on this project, and all that workflow's states are presented as columns, so far so good. What happens when I add another issue type to the project, which is linked to a different workflow? How will 2 workflows be represented by this unconfigurable board?

2. You mentioned above to "create a new Kanban for your project". In anticipation that the stock board won't cut it, how does one create a Kanban board for a Business Project? I've looked on the Board page, and various Project Settings pages, and I don't see any obvious way to do this.

Jack Community Leader Nov 25, 2019

1) the new issuetype would adhere to the single workflow. w/ simplified WF there "can be only one". just like in Highlander. :-)

2) you go to the Boards page and click on the "Create board" button (top right). Likely you will want to create a filter and save it and use it for defining the board. If you do not see the button then you do not have permissions to create - speak to your admin.

Earlier someone said the tickets disappear after 14 days in the done column. What does that mean?  Where do they go and how do you find them?

Jack Community Leader Jul 05, 2018

The issues simply are filtered 'off' the board to keep it clean and not have the Done column grow infinitum. You can always find them using a JQL search filter, e.g. project = xxx and status = done.

To reiterate boards are simply a graphical view of issues based upon some filter. In general they are intended to keep the most important open issues in front of you so you can manage your work. The business board is a simplified default board that often satisfies most users dealing w/ non-SW projects. For me that are great to get folks started but ultimately become too limited once you become comfortable w/ how boards work and what you can do w/ the more customizable Kanban or Scrum boards.

Thanks.  I guess we've been using the kanban boards for too long that limited functionality is not cutting it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Jira issue check and more advanced commit verifications for Bitbucket DC

Pre-receive hooks that verify the Git commit message, the modified files, and implement similar code change controls used to be requirements of large enterprises working in regulated industries only....

24 views 0 0
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you