Gavin Jolley January 12, 2017

6 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2017

I'm afraid you can't.  JIRA hides empty fields on the issue view to avoid (even more) clutter on screen.

To change it, you have to hack JIRA's core code.

Alexander Post _venITure_ February 22, 2020

Hi @Gavin Jolley and @Gavin Jolley ,

you are right. Its hardcoded and you are not able to change this by some strange setting. But you should checkout IssueLayout  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221618/issuelayout?hosting=server&tab=overview

You can add a alternative Details panel, which allows you to configure to display empty custom fields. Also you can remove status, resultion etc. And it displays all fields such as User Picker.

Dominic Peters July 21, 2021

But the problem still exists if you are in view or edit screen of an issue and delete the complete value and safe. Then the field is hidden.

We use a Group-Picker, but if you want to change the value and it is empy the field ist going away ^^.

4 votes
Chris Moreira March 7, 2018

Go Custom Fields -> Configure Custom Field: XX -> Default Configuration Scheme for XX -> Default Value -> Add two spaces here" then click set default. That should do the trick

Brett Flintoff August 22, 2018

I tried this but it's not working for me.

Michael Lasonde October 3, 2018

Worked for me, quick work around. Thanks

Ryan Shillington January 23, 2019

Yup.  Works in JIRA Cloud.  Nice!

IT System Administrator March 20, 2019

This didn't work on JIRA server 7.2.3.

Samira Negm April 14, 2019

didn't work for me on a user picker custom field

Andy Janes April 29, 2019

This is a great and simple solution!  For other users reference, this only applied to issues created post-update.

sandeep4774 June 2, 2019

I think two Spaces will work for text field only.

Ajay Kumar July 19, 2019

Hi, 

How to display an empty date field ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2019

See above.

Ajay Kumar July 22, 2019

Yes this very well works for Text field.

But I want to know if I can display an empty date-picker field. In Edit default value, I cannot add empty space Validation error is displayed. 

2 votes
Ivan Orvieto July 2, 2021

It works visually, but the field is not empty anymore (ie it contains two spaces). If you query for  issues with that field being empty, that would not appear

Victor Galeote Dominguez March 6, 2023

Exactly, this is the problem that I am facing. Is there a chance to filter by the content of the text fileld (space character)  or by the lenght of the field (in order to filter those shorter than 2 characters for example)? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2023

No, see the accepted answer.

0 votes
anju April 9, 2020

Can somebody pls share screenshots 

Ryan Shillington April 9, 2020

Screenshots of what? Spaces? They look like this:  

:-)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mechee December 23, 2019

Only way I had it work for a checklist field was to do it reverse style, i.e. have them all checked by default and uncheck them as I finish each item.

Jeff Wynne August 13, 2020

That's what I've been trying to achieve. I don't think I could live with your workaround :(

0 votes
Mari Petra January 13, 2017

Fully agree with Nic

Suggest an answer