How can I automatically open a subtask created under one issue under another issue?

serkan_sezer December 5, 2023

Hi Everyone,

we use data center version.

In one project, I can use the Create / Clone issue(s) (JMWE app) function to automatically create an issue in another project and connect them. The function automatically links each other as "report"

Project A

Fonksiyon A.png

Under the automatic issue created in the other project, I create subtasks with the Create / Clone issue(s) (JMWE app) function.

Project B

Fonksiyon B.png

issues examples;
Project A.png

Project B.png

Everything works normally so far, but how can I make the linked Project B automatically open as a subtask under the issue when a new subtask is created in Project A?

When the client finds bugs, it will create subtasks for each bugs so How do I ensure that project b is automatically created under the linked issue every time a new subtask is created?

create subtask A.png

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

1 answer

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2024

Hi,

Here are is the link to the JMWE documentation: https://appfire.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JMWE/pages/461439889/Advanced+configuration+and+usage+of+the+Create+issue+post-function?search_id=4db0aa36-33e2-4baa-a1ff-9aa6ca07acf7

and related topic

https://appfire.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JMWE/pages/461472778?search_id=4db0aa36-33e2-4baa-a1ff-9aa6ca07acf7

"Everything works normally so far, but how can I make the linked Project B automatically open as a subtask under the issue when a new subtask is created in Project A?"

Also -- sub-task are considered children of the parent ticket and can have only one parent. "parentage hierarchy" doesn't apply across projects.

So, if I understand your use case: each time a bug is discovered in Project A and Related issue is created in Project B and you want it to be linked issues created in Project B displayed as children in Project A issue they cannot appear as sub-tasks. They can appear as linked issues as you have seen having the linked issues displayed as Reported.

Now if you wanted the sub-tasks created in project B to act like sub-tasks and constrain the actions for the issue in Project A--then you can link them as a dependency; so project A cannot be closed until those dependent issues in Project B are closed.

"When the client finds bugs, it will create subtasks for each bugs so How do I ensure that project b is automatically created under the linked issue every time a new subtask is created?"  Another option is to write an automation rule and use to create and link the issues between the project A and project B. That will require involving your instance administrator to assist in writing a Global "multi-project" automation rule if your are not the project administrator in both Project A and Project B. 

Suggest an answer