How can I auto assign a issue to an epic when it is created within a specific board?

Philip Kappel October 15, 2020

Hi All,

Been struggling with this one so I thought I'd turn to the experts to see if any of you could help.

Some background:

We're using 1 project with multiple boards to filter pieces of work being run by various project teams. We've built user groups & JQL rules to ensure that each team can work from their own board without interference from other teams, but still allow them visibility of the wider programme.

Board Usage

We are categorising project deliverables by: "Epic Name" / "Epic Link" (if it has a epic name: "Project x", it will appear on the teams backlog & kanban board).

Question

Is it possible to set up rules that would automatically assign a Epic Name if it is created in the backlog of a specific board?

Context

If a user creates an issue in their backlog but forgets to apply the Epic Name, then it will disappear out of their backlog as the JQL rules are based around the Epic Name. We've asked them to remember to add the epic name but in some cases it's forgotten & if they use the "Create Issue" at the bottom of the Backlog then it will disappear

Thanks in advance for your help all!

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Hi Phillip - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This should work using Automation For Jira, but just probably just for Classic Software Projects right now. I believe Automation has a problem with Epic assignments.

But it would be populating the Epic Link, not the Epic Name. 

So the rule would look like:

Create Issue Trigger

New Action: Edit Issue

Update Epic Link field value with (probably supply the key of the Epic: ABC-123)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events