How can I append the parent issue ID to a sub task on creation of the sub task?

Jasiel Lora July 17, 2020

I have an automation that creates 10 different sub tasks when a custom field on an issue is updated from New to Approved. Am I able to append the parent issue ID to the summary field of said sub tasks?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2020

Hi @Jasiel Lora 

Yes, you can use the smart value {{issue.key}} to inject the value of parent issue key into the subtasks summary

Jasiel Lora July 17, 2020

@Gikku Thanks but I'm looking to append the issue ID of the Parent Issue, not the issue ID of the sub task itself.

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2020

@Jasiel Lora If you are triggering the subtask creation from the status change of the parent issue, it will set the {{issue.key}} with the parent key only (the trigger issue}}

So it will be correctly updated as parent issue key on the summary of sub tasks. You should add it into the summary within the rule for creating the subtasks.

Anytime you can reference the parent issue key by {{issue.parent.key}}

Like John likes this

Suggest an answer