HOW TO Add a column and requires a status to be visible?

james gaulden January 13, 2022

Since the Jira update, as a board admin, I have not been able to complete easy task I used to perform. We do have a company managed project.

Today's event was adding a column. I went through the normal process, but notice nothing populated and a status was required. However, I was not able to perform.

So I reach out to our BA, who has admin rights, sent this to me. I have not seen this before and neither has he.Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 1.57.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-13 at 1.58.16 PM.png

So for him to give me board rights to add the column and status of column. Should he just click next and simplify?

We want to make sure we're not going to break the board.

Advice is welcomed. 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Hey James,

To add a column in a Jira Core project, you need to modify the workflow to add the column and then publish the workflow. 

It looks like from the screenshots that you are trying to associate the project with a different workflow scheme. 

james gaulden January 18, 2022

How would we go about performing that?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Go to Settings > Issues > Workflows

Search for your workflow and then click on Edit. 

Make your changes to add the new status along with a transition. Then be sure to publish it!

I clicked on project settings (bottom left), then workflows and there is no edit button. but let me see if I can see if the BA can perform this

Like John Funk likes this

unfortunately this did not work for us. We are going to have the main board admin try it out. Thanks for the help though

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2022

What did not work? What exactly did you do and what was the result? 

Suggest an answer