Filtering by Epic Removes All from Scrum Board

Anthony Ross September 28, 2020

My scrum board has a filter of:

project = DTBTCD AND "Epic Link" != Interruptions ORDER BY Rank ASC

However, when I browse the backlog the Epic's column is now empty.Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.59.25 AM.png

However if I change my query to:

project = DTBTCD ORDER BY Rank ASC

All the epics show up again.  My goal is to have a scrum board that filters out this epic but I'm unclear why the filter is effecting the backlog view.

BTW If I don't use "Epic Link" and instead "Epic Name", it doesn't show stories for those Epic's in either view.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2020

Hi @Anthony Ross

With your JQL, Jira will check if the the Epic Link is not Interruptions. But this works only for the issues, that have an epic link. All issues without an epic link will also be filtered out.

So you have to check also  if there is no epic link.

project = DTBTCD AND ("Epic Link" != Interruptions or "Epic Link" is Empty ) ORDER BY Rank ASC
0 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2020

@Anthony Ross Try with project=DTBTCD and "Epic Link" != ABC-1 and "Epic name"!=Interruptions . This query will show other Epics, and also the stories/Task that are not associated with Epic ABC-1.

Suggest an answer