Filter sorting by Priority not always working

bver June 4, 2020

I have 2 filters

1) My Open Tasks

status not in (Closed) AND assignee in (currentUser()) ORDER BY priority DESC

2) My Open Tasks + Unassigned

status not in (Closed) AND assignee in (currentUser(), EMPTY) ORDER BY priority DESC

The first sorts by priority as expected. The second does not. I can't determine what it's sorted by but it's not priority. There are issues with priority of Highest in the middle of the list of results and Medium issues at the top. There are also "unassigned" issues before and after the Highest priority issues so it's not sorted by assignee either, which is the only difference between the two queries.

Am I missing something here or is this a bug? 

2 answers

0 votes
bver June 4, 2020

Ah it seems ordered by Project first, then Priority despite that not being part of the criteria. The first query did not return results from all projects so the Highest priority ones from one of the projects just ended up at the top.

So how do I force it to not order by Project first?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

Hi @bver 

Maybe try:

status not in (Closed) AND (assignee = currentUser() or assignee is not EMPTY) ORDER BY priority DESC

bver June 4, 2020

No dice. Order changed a bit but still same overall problem. Still several Medium priority tasks above the Highest ones.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

Sorry, it should have said IS Empty. You can try that again. 

status not in (Closed) AND (assignee = currentUser() or assignee is EMPTY) ORDER BY priority DESC

I wonder if it has something to do with the empty as related to assignee. You might try just this to see:

status not in (Closed) or assignee is EMPTY ORDER BY priority DESC

bver June 4, 2020

Neither work sadly. But I did comment here in the main thread as to how it is actually ordering / grouping the results. Maybe that will give some insight?

Suggest an answer