Filter makes Jira unable to see linked Epics

Matthew White November 25, 2021

I've created a filter for my Kanban board which works to get all stories from Epics labeled with a specific label:

project = ABC AND issueFunction in issuesInEpics("labels = XYZ")

But when I try to base swimlanes on Epics I get an empty board with "No issues are currently visible Check the board configuration" or even when I look for epics in the backlog it is completely empty.

The stories and issues do of course have epics assigned and if I do a simpler query Jira is able to see the Epics. I've got no add-ons nor any sub-filters on the board. 

I assume it must be the query but I've no idea what is wrong with it as it works in the search

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2021

Hi @Matthew White and welcome to the Community!

Your filter does indeed eliminate the Epics themselves from your board. Assuming that you want to see all Epics with label XYZ, you should be able to include them like this:

project = ABC AND (issueFunction in issuesInEpics("labels = XYZ") OR (issuetype = Epic AND labels = XYZ))

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer