Exclude issues with label X, but only when it's the only label

Adam Reece June 17, 2020

I want to run a search that excludes issues with label X but only where that's the only label. This means I want the search result to include issues with label X but only if there are also other labels attached to those issues.

Example:

Issue 1 has labels X, Y and C

Issue 2 has labels Y and C

Issue 3 has label X

I want my search result to include Issues 1 and 2 but exclude 3.

Note that using labels != X seems to exclude Issues 1 and 3, but I want Issue 1 to be included.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

Hi Adam - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure how you would do that other than if you check for every other value that might be in Issue 1. If there are a lot of label possibilities, you are probably out of luck. At least for my knowledge. 

Adam Reece June 17, 2020

Thanks John. Yes, I had considered that. All the labels are channels except label X, so my problem is really with how I've approached this. I was hoping a search string that did as I explained might be my get-out-of-jail-free card. I think I'll have to find another approach.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

You might post the question to this thread (or even a link back here):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Becoming-a-JIRA-Search-Ninja-History-searches-in-JIRA/ba-p/461943#U793004

Someone might respond there - but it's beyond me.  :-(

Suggest an answer