Excel extracting data from JIRA

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

Hi all,

I was just asked if there was a way for excel to extract data from JIRA?   At a previous company my user through an ODBC driver was able to, inside excel, extract data from a database and then run formulas and charts on it.  I could go directly to the JIRA database, but was wondering if there is a way I can go through JIRA?

I offered the solution of inside JIRA run a JQL and then export to csv file, but then he would have to add in the formulas each time.  He would prefer to only open Excel and click  [ UPDATE ] and that would go to JIRA and pull any new information.

Thanks,

Robert

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Robert, make sure and try the Better Excel Plugin free.

It does everything you mentioned, extracts data from the JIRA API (not from the database, so it gives you a semantically correct data model), runs formulas, draws charts, etc.

And after you created the Excel template that describes your desired output (both in terms of look and logic), you can update that with the most current JIRA data with a single click!

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2016

But that will create the charts in JIRA correct?   My user wants to use Excel to get the data from JIRA.   (Personally I believe that JIRA is a kagillion times better than excel, but that is my belief and my customer is a high level director and familiar with Excel.)

0 votes
Dave F July 21, 2019

Using the .CSV export URL as a web based data source for Excel might work. 

More discussion on that option here - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Fetch-data-from-JIRA-to-excel/qaq-p/198786

0 votes
Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2016

I believe the only answer is to access the database directly.  Closing this one out.

Suggest an answer