Edit options in System field

Anil December 2, 2019

Hi All,

For custom fields, We can edit the options by configuring custom fields. Is there any way to edit system fields information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anil

2 answers

0 votes
puttibarker February 8, 2022

@Alex Christensen Thanks for your answer but Priority scheme is not available in Jira Cloud isn't it?

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

There are some things you definitely can't do to these system fields - you can't rename system fields, for example.

If you're trying to update the values/options for these system fields, that depends on the field.

• The versions fields of "Fix Version/s" and "Affect Version/s" take values from a project's configured Releases/Versions, so the values in this field will depend on the project the issue is a part of.
  • The Component/s field is similar to the versions fields - components are defined per project, so the values in this field depend on the project the issue is a part of.
  • Labels are global values and can be used/created by any user in any project.
  • Priorities per project are determined by the Priority scheme used in that project.

If this doesn't answer your question, what kind of changes are you wanting to make to system fields?

Anil December 2, 2019

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply.

I want to edit options in "Labels" field. 

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Labels in Jira are pretty much free-form. Any user in your Jira instance can create a label or use an existing label. There's very little governance around labels, and I don't really recommend using labels for anything other than short-term categorization/reporting. Labels shouldn't be used for anything permanent, in my opinion.

Like Anil likes this
Anil December 5, 2019

Can we edit options at DB level ? 

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2019

The Jira database should never be modified directly. Doing so can have significant negative ramifications on the health of your Jira instance.

For the Labels field, if at least one issue in your entire Jira instance is using a label option, that label option will be available in your entire Jira instance. The only way to remove a label value is to remove that label option from all issues in your instance. Even so, there's nothing stopping any user from just recreating the label option since the Label field is completely free form and available for anyone to add any value they want.

Why are you wanting to remove label value options? It sounds like you're trying to implement something permanent, and I don't really recommend using the Label field for any type of permanent categorization. I'd opt for custom field with pre-determined values instead.

Anil December 22, 2019

I want to edit options in labels field. From example,

Existing option:"Double_MMJ_Award_Notification"

Required option:"GRV_Double_MMJ_Award_Notification"

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 26, 2019

If you're looking to replace the existing option with your required option, you can use a bulk edit to find and replace label values.

Bulk edits are generally capped at 1000 issues at a time by default, as well. You can increase this amount, but I wouldn't increase the cap by much (if at all).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events