Does it affect using effect of jira if I want to create many customfield in jira ?

ZhangXiaoyu May 30, 2022

I want to creat many customfield in jira, but i think it will affect using effect of jira.

This happen? why ?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2022

Yes.

Creating many custom fields has two undesirable effects in Jira:

Performance.  Since Jira 8, this a lot less of a concern, but every field you create adds a little bit of load.  The effects vary, some custom fields are better than others, and you need to remember that 3rd party field types could do almost anything.  But if you're on Jira 8+, this is a minor thing.

Confusion.  This is by far the most important thing.  Why are you creating loads of fields?  Of what use are they all in reporting and getting things done?  Are you demanding people fill in a  hundred and eleventy twelve fields just to get something approved and done (have you been working  with bloated and/or legacy systems like Remedy, Cherwell, Service Now, etc)

ZhangXiaoyu May 30, 2022

I want an official document about custom field because my boss wants to see it

ZhangXiaoyu May 31, 2022

My jira's version is 8.20.6(LTS), in custom field optimizer pages, I got a notice that : " they have a significant impact on Jira's performance."

so custom fields with global contexts have more effects then specific project?

Any more details , please let me know ?

testa.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2022

The official page you probably want is at https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/managing-custom-fields-in-jira-effectively-945523781.html

Bear in mind the article is based on testing Jira 7, rather than 8, so the numbers are not particularly useful to you.

As I said, Jira 8 is a lot less affected by the field contexts than 7 - I can give you a broad overview of why if you really want (it's not very interesting)

I've recently worked on a project where we did similar benchmarks to the ones Atlassian have in their docs.  On an install of 7.13, looking at 600 global custom fields, we converted them to project-only contexts.   The actions in the speed test either didn't change, or got faster by up to 4%.  Deleting the fields was more effective, even when we'd merged fields instead of deleting a whole dataset.

On an install of 8, the improvements from limiting contexts to projects were negligible, but field deletion did have a significant effect.

Suggest an answer