Display JIRA filter results gadget using JQL instead of saved filter?

Mark Gancsos September 13, 2018

So right now I can run a search, save it as a filter, and then display the filter results on a dashboard. Is there any way to show JQL search results as a pie chart without having to first save it as a filter?

Say I want to see all the camera product orders that a company has fulfilled on a dashboard. I search for the following:

• status = closed
  • issuetype = "Product Order"
  • ProductType = "Camera"

That will show me all the fulfilled camera orders. Then I save this as a filter called "Closed_Camera_Orders", and put it on a dashboard using the Favorite Filters gadget.

Now we get a request to see all closed camera orders for each state in the USA. Do I really have to make 50 filters that are all some version of the following just to load them into gadgets?

• status = closed
  • issuetype = "Product Order"
  • ProductType = "Camera"
  • US_state = "Alabama"

There's no gadget that takes "JQL String" as an input instead of instead of "Saved Filter"? Then I could at least enter "filter IN [7654765] AND US_state = "Alabama" in one gadget, and "filter IN [7654765] AND US_state = "Arkansas" for another.

That would be way better than having to save 50 search strings as filters.

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

I was searching for something else and saw this post.

I know this is not an answer, but there is an add-on that provides this functionality: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/5228/show-saved-filter-with-columns-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

In addition to storing the JQL within the gadget preferences, it also has options to set the title and header-bar color of the gadget.

We acquired this add-on years ago before the default filter gadget allowed column selection and that was the main differentiator. Now, just the color and JQL may not be worth the license cost for us, but maybe it is for you.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2018

I'm afraid the gadgets all take a simple filter, not JQL directly.

Mark Gancsos September 13, 2018

Blargh. Ah well, thank you! So everyone just creates tons of filters?

Like Valentin Dragin likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2018

I'm afraid we do, yes.

Marcelo Zucchelli September 10, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- do you happen to know if there's a feature request for dashboard gadgets to take JQL as input?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

Yes, it was closed ages ago with something that can be summarised as "saved filters are JQL"

Francois Duquette August 3, 2021

Having the same challenges here, managing tons of saved jql queries is super cumbersome over time and not efficient at all to manage, as opposed to having the ability to define your jql queries on the fly when adding new gadgets to your dashboards.

So many of the same jql queries that I have to create, except perhaps one single tiny criteria difference.

The gadget's 'Saved Filter' search box becomes harder and harder to use, as you keep creating more saved filters over the years across all your dashboards etc. I have hundreds of them, and the search becomes not super efficient and even buggy at times.

Would be soo easy if I could simply add and edit my jql query for a given gadget right on spot, directly on the gadget itself (..and let jira saves it behind the scenes, if that's really what they need behind the scenes, just abstract that to your dashboard creator users..).

Like Rui Caldeira likes this
0 votes
Lucy Dilts January 26, 2024

The whole create JQL filters is garbage. Whomever designed this had no foresight when it came to managing and sharing them. We have 1000s of filters which has made finding them beyond frustrating.

ALSO, the advance search, which is not even consistently available on relevant gadgets, doesn't even work! EVEN IF YOU COPY THE FILTER NAME EXACTLY AND SEARCH FOR IT.

COMPLETE GARBAGE. Looking forward to our move to Azure DevOps!!!

0 votes
Radek Janata November 6, 2021

Rich Filters for Jira Dashboards add-on will do exactly you want.

Alternatively, you could use cheaper Show Saved Filter with Columns for Jira add-on (suggested by @Peter-Dave Sheehan above) and use the JQL you suggested in the dashboard gadgets (e.g.: filter IN [7654765] AND US_state = "Alabama").

Suggest an answer