Disable auto assign to sub tasks through components

Frank Rasche April 28, 2020

Hello,

I run into following scenario:

We have components configured with lead and default assignee to the component leader.

We also use Issue Template to auto generate a bunch of sub tasks with every new task created. These sub tasks are configured as "not assigned".

The problem now is, whenever I create a task and add a component, the main task gets assigned to the component leader (which is correct), but also all sub tasks will automatically assigned to the component leader. These subtasks often get to other departments such like testing or marketing and although it is ok to have the component leader on the main task, we don't want this on sub tasks.

I want to disable the auto assignment to subtasks when a component is selected with a default assignee. 

It seems like this is due to some build in listeners, because it usually took some seconds, before I can see the auto assignment on the sub tasks.

Is there a way to stop this propagation of assignments on sub tasks?

Using jira Server 8.1.0

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2020

Hi Frank,

I'm very sure that's nothing Jira does on its own. So I guess you have some automation running in the background? 

Best, Max

Frank Rasche April 28, 2020

Thanks Max.

you are right. I missed a configuration in Issue Template where I can deactivate assignment to sub tasks.

Now it works as expected and I can use Automation plugin to assign specific sub tasks to specific people automatically.

Sorry for that, I should have asked Issue Template support first hand.

Cheers

Frank

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2020

Don't worry about that. That's what the Atlassian community is for, we like to help and welcome by the way! :) Glad you were able to figure this out on your own. That is the most satisfying. ;)

Best, Max

Suggest an answer