Direct Message Notifications to Slack

Andy Nielson May 11, 2022

In my role, I'm not directly assigned tickets, rather my name is added to a custom field assignment within a ticket. So, unless I directly Watch a ticket, I don't get notifications on it (which is fine, I don't need every single event emailed to me).

What I'm wondering is: Is there a way to have Jira send a Slack notification to me when a ticket that has my name in that sub-field is transitioned from one column to another (for example, from Code Review, to Testing). 
This would eliminate a plethora of emails, as well as not rely on me to continually keep an eye on my email box, and would help streamline the testing process at my organization. 

I feel like the functionality to do this should exist, but I am not savvy enough (with Slack OR Jira) to figure this situation out. I know Jira notifications can be sent directly to a specific Slack channel, but unless that channel can also @ a person, this isn't a working option. 

1 answer

0 votes
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2022

Hi @Andy Nielson ,

Welcome to the community!

If you are on Jira Cloud, the easiest way is to use Automation to send a Slack notification to you directly. Automation can check for your name in a custom field and can be configured to be triggered only when transitioning to a specific status.

Automation is included in Jira Cloud and should be available in "Project Settings" -> "Automation". From there it should be pretty self-explanatory, but let me know if you do get stuck somewhere.

On Server/Data Center, Automation unfortunately is an app that you would likely need to buy. However, I'm not an expert here, so others might have better suggestions.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events