Data encryption contradiction

John Walsh November 15, 2017

The SOC2 and the CSA completed give contradicting responses for data at rest.  The SOC2 for Jira & Confluence says the data at rest is not encrypted, but the CSA self assessment says that the data at rest is encrypted for Jira & Confluence.  Which is the case?

2 answers

1 vote
Eduard M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2017

Hello John,

This previous answer might be helpful: 

Atlassian is compliant with SOC2, and their SOC2 report can be obtained here: https://www.atlassian.com/trust/compliance

Unfortunately the report clearly states on page 29 that "Data is not encrypted at rest. Data in transit is encrypted with the TLS cryptographic protocol."

If you need further clarification, please let me know your questions more specifically.

John Walsh November 22, 2017

Thank you Eduard for the response.

My confusion is looking at the SOC2 and the CSA's CAIQ (atlassian-caiq-v3.0.1-2016-09-30.xlsx).  The Atlassian CAIQ response for encryption at rest (row 93) states in the notes that JIRA & Confluence, within the Atlassian Cloud Platform, the tenant data is encrypted.

I figure the SOC2 is correct, but I just wanted to make sure.

0 votes
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2019

Hi @John Walsh ,

I have an update for you here! 

Customer data is encrypted in transit and at rest in Atlassian cloud products.

All customer data stored within Atlassian cloud products and services is encrypted in transit over public networks using Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2+ with Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) to protect it from unauthorized disclosure or modification.

Data drives on servers holding customer data and attachments in Jira Software Cloud, Jira Service Desk Cloud, Jira Core Cloud, Confluence Cloud, Statuspage, OpsGenie, and Trello use full disk, industry-standard AES-256 encryption at rest. To learn more, please see our Security Practices page.

We post updates related to security, privacy, compliance, and more in our Trust & Security group. Feel free to post related questions and feedback there! 

Best,

Lauren

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events