Creating new column

Gui Ávila October 14, 2020

Hi. I created a project with "project management" template. I am trying to add a new column in the board. I can drag and move columns, but how can I create a new one?

Thanks.

Gui.

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2020

Hi Gui,

Business projects (Jira Core) are very limited as to customization. You have very little, if any, control over boards. 

Classic Software (Jira Software) projects are going to give you the most flexibility.

Having said all of that, this link might help with adding a column to your board:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/build-the-workflow-you-need/

I assume that if you modify the workflow as described and add a new status in the workflow, then the board will be rebuilt automatically to show the new status as a column. But I am not sure - you would need to experiment with that. 

0 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2020

Hi @Gui Ávila,

Because the Project Management template creates a business project, unfortunately there are no board configuration options for Business Projects in Jira. You might need to re-create the project as a Software project if you want to be able to edit the collumns

Gui Ávila October 15, 2020

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ Thanks for the info.

So only Jira Software project has option to add collumns? Wow, I did not know about that. May I know why? Is there a specific reason I am not aware? 

If I use Jira Core for a HR project, I can't customize my project and add collumns to suit the specifications of my needs?

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2020

@Gui Ávila Ah yeah so while technically it is possible to create a new column, you will need to edit the default workflow that comes with the project - the new status will be mapped to the new column so this is the only way to get a new column in a business project board (see @John Funks answer for more details on this).

Having said that, if you want to use different workflows for different issue types within the business project, you will see this screen when you try and access your board:

board issue.PNG

Essentially, Jira business projects aren't too useful if you want to introduce a lot of customisation of the project's assets such as workflows and boards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events