Create task from email

German Jesus Vazquez December 14, 2017

Hi! Is there any way to create a task from email and send it direct to a project.

For example:

• I send an email to example@attlasian.net and it get direct to the project example
  • I send a an email to test@attlasian.net and it get direct to the project test

Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
German Jesus Vazquez December 27, 2017

This is the correct answer from Atlassian Support:

You will have to create two different mail handlers (one for each project), but you can use the same mail server.

1. Both will use the Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue* in the Handler option in the first screen of the mail handler configuration/creation.
  2. In the second screen, choose the project you want to associate the mail handler with, then type the respective e-mail you want to use for that project in the Catch Email Address field (when you send an e-mail to your Jira email address jira@domain.atlassian.net and add the e-mail you have set in the Catch Email Address field as CC, it will create/comment a issue in the respective project).

Regards!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017
German Jesus Vazquez December 21, 2017

Thanks Nic,

You know if from one Mail Servers I can have multiple incoming mail handler ?

Thanks!

Marta Ferreira September 2, 2021

Hello,

Hope you can help me @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  :)

I have created a project for IT, in which people raise issues normally through Jira. However, not everyone has a license, so the other option would be for these people to send an email and an issue would automatically be created in Jira.   

Question: do you know if this would still require these people to have licenses?

Thank you. 

Best regards. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

No, the email handlers can raise issues based on emails from unregistered users, but they will set the reporter to an existing account you name and not necessarily record the email it came from.  Most of us set up a dummy user so we at least know it's not really one person creating thousands of issues by email!

Like Marta Ferreira likes this

Thank you, 

I'm gonna give it a try, and take on board your suggestion. 

Might come back for further assistance. 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  

I know from the atlassian documentation that i need to follow the below steps

Receive emails from new users

To allow Jira to handle email messages sent from people without a Jira user account:

1. Create an anonymous or dummy mail account on your mail server.
  2. Create an equivalent anonymous or dummy Jira user account, whose email address matches the mail account you just created. 
  3. When configuring your mail handler options, set the Default Reporter to be the anonymous or dummy Jira user account.

How do I create a dummy mail account on my mail server? And also how do I create a dummy Jira user account?

Apologies for my ignorance but i'm very new to Jira. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best regards. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2021

I'm afraid I have no way to know how to set up a dummy email for your email server, that's a question for your email admins. 

I know that on the one that I use at home, there's a web-ui that lets me add whatever I need by simply feeding it a new id and setting it a password.  

However, the dummy email on your server is not actually going to get used.  It's just there to allow the Jira dummy account to exist.

The dummy Jira account is easier - go to Admin -> Users and add a new user.  It can be in the internal directory (assuming you have not disabled it), and not exist outside Jira if you want.  Give it the dummy email address, and well, that's it really.  It will be named as the "reporter" on incoming issues by email if Jira can't find an existing user.

Like Marta Ferreira likes this

Suggest an answer