Create one JIRA ticket for multiple JIRA automation rule invocations

amoiz August 18, 2020

I have a situation in which an octopus deployment can be associated with multiple JIRA tickets. However i don't want each JIRA automation to create a new JIRA ticket instead all these multiple parallel JIRA automation invocations should result in a single ticket.

I tried these 2 approached both failed:

a. I tried setting a flag to use it to as concurrency check 

b. I also tried implementing logic by using a JQL query to check for existence of a JIRA ticket and if not create one. - In this case all the multiple invocations created a ticket

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2020

This is a tough one and I don't think we have a solid solution inside Jira / Automation. There are multiple points for currency to leak back into whatever solution you come up with:

• The concurrency originates outside of Jira, at the octopus deploy.
  • All deploy jobs may not be finished when the initial automation kicks off.
  • At the automation level, multiple automations can be running at the same time.
  • Jira can be async + concurrent itself.

Is there any point at which the octopus deploy collapses back to a single thing from which you could trigger the automation? Basically a way to ensure the automation is only kicked off once the whole set of jobs is truly complete?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Hi @amoiz  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share some more details as to what you have already? Maybe some screenshots?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events