Counting issue status transitions (no plugin)

Roberto Rufino December 13, 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out a way to count the total number of transitions that occur between statuses on a issue. 

Best thing would be showing such count in one of the issue's fields. 

I had a look at other discussions on the community and the only way to achieve this is to use an external plugin. 

Is there any other way to achieve this without the use of a plugin? 

1 answer

0 votes
Zita Bagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

If you go to an Issue > Activity > All tab, you can see everything that has happened to the issue in question, including transitions.

In order to display this count in a field, you will need Adaptivist ScriptRunner plugin, which contains a built-in Script Field function called No. of Times In Status. Or you can write a custom script, but you need ScriptRunner for that too.

This doesn't come as a default feature. If you don't want to buy ScriptRunner, check if there are free plugins which provide a similar feature.

Roberto Rufino December 16, 2019

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'm going through the free plugins but I can't seem to find anything like this. Do you know any free plugins which would allow me to do something like this by any chance? Any keyword in particular I should use when looking for it?

Also, is there a documentation for creating your own plugin? I had a look at this one: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/getting-started/ but I'm looking for something more detailed.

Is it even possible to develop an easy feature like the one I need?

I've also run some REST requests through postman to see if there was anything that could help in the response, but couldn't find anything useful.

Suggest an answer