Correct way to add stories to an Epic in Jira Cloud / Work Management project using automation?

Ertwyn Henry April 14, 2023

I have automated the creation on an Epic and I am now trying to add issues to that Epic as a story I have been able to link issues to the Epic in this hierarchy Epics > Issues > Subtasks. My problem is getting data from the subtasks up to Epic. I am only allowed to add one branching step in an automation rule.

automation.pngSetEpicLink.png

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2023

Hello @Ertwyn Henry 

I think we do not have a complete description of your scenario.

Your post title is asking about adding Stories to Epics. And you said you are able to create stories and link them to the Epic.

So, it sounds like you don't have a problem creating and adding the stories to the Epics.

This indicates you have set up your rule to have an If/Else block.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 6.17.22 PM.png

That would seem to indicate that you want to create different sets of child Stories based on values of the created issue that triggered the rule. Is that correct? Are you indeed trying to execute different actions based on values of the triggering issue? If not then you can replace that with multiple Issue Fields Conditions.

You said you are having a problem with Subtasks.

Are you trying to also create Subtasks under these Stories?

You actually can add a branch under each Create Issue block thus:

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 6.21.32 PM.png

And then under that add more Create Issue components to create subtasks.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 6.24.40 PM.png

Suggest an answer