Copying values for existing issues while migrating from Global Context to Project Context

KL Kumar January 20, 2020

Hello,

I have a scenario here and would like to understand. 

Scenario:

I have few custom fields which are part of Global Context. These fields are already being used and have many existing issues with the values. Now if I try to migrate these custom fields from Global Context to specific Project Context, does Jira(server) take care (copy values) of all the existing issues data in the new Project Context? Or the data gets erased and I need to get the list of issues through a script and update the values?

I have gone through this link and I didn't get clarity.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/custom-fields-with-global-contexts-956713282.html

Thanks!

Kumar

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

Hi @KL Kumar ,

As stated in this KB, "there is no risk of data loss" : changing the context will not erase the values. You can safely switch. :)

KL Kumar January 21, 2020

Thanks @Antoine Berry .

But when I try to implement such case, I see only for few custom field types, there is no data loss for existing issues. For example, there's no data loss for Select List, Cascading Select List, Radio buttons, etc. But there's data loss specifically for Checkbox and Multiple Select List types. So when I migrate from Global context to Project context, the data for these two custom field types is erased and not visible for the existing issues.

Thanks,

Kumar

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

You should check if those fields share the same default and project configurations. If those are different (meaning they do not have the same options available), data will be erased.

KL Kumar January 21, 2020

@Antoine Berry Thanks! It worked.

Like Antoine Berry likes this

Suggest an answer