Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Copy project with no data

How can I copy an existing custom project such that it does not include the data and I will allow me to modify screens, workflow, notifications and anything else custom,  without changing the project that it was copied from. 

I've used the 'Built-in-scripts' to copy a project, but the resulting project appears to be 'sharing' the same workflow, scheme and screens.   

I want to start with one project to save time, and then modify the new project to slightly different specifications. 

2 answers

0 votes

Hi, @Madeline Asmus !

Welcome to the Community!

As I know it is impossible to do out-of-box. And I believe that it is cool feature and great practice to re-use schemes. 

But I get your case - try to search external apps, for example, ScriptRunner for Jira can copy projects with Built-in-Scripts.

Hello Alex,

I did use Scriptrunner and my question is did it give me a project that is sharing the original projects screens/schema/fields,  because it sure does looks like it. 

If I I tailor the new project - it looks like I would be changing the original project. 

Is there a way to copy the project so it doesn't share, but makes it's own instance. 

It seems like this would be a common practice.  I've worked with Oracle databases for well over 10 years,  and it's frustrating for me not having the dba access to look under the hood at what is provided.    

Thanks,

Madeline. 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jun 04, 2021

Hi @Madeline Asmus

what you described is the advantage many admins see from copying a project using "Built-In Script" to keep a clean, tidy and uncluttered Jira instance by having as less as possible diverging configuration.

However, your use case indeed can be valid - you would just need to use 'stock' Jira feature to create a new project.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-a-project-938846813.html

Doing so, new configuration is created, that is mainly not shared (except for a few things like Permission Scheme, for example). So you are more flexible by doing so. If you want to share a single element (like a workflow) you could still do it.

I agree, when using Built-In Script you would have to create new configuration and assign it one by one to the new project which could take more time in this case than to use the 'stock' feature.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Jira issue check and more advanced commit verifications for Bitbucket DC

Pre-receive hooks that verify the Git commit message, the modified files, and implement similar code change controls used to be requirements of large enterprises working in regulated industries only....

31 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you