Config JIRA as email handler by using EWS

Gilad Shtern January 3, 2022

Hi,

I'd like to config JIRA as email handler by using EWS.

How to config EWS on JIRA side?

Kindly,

Gilad

3 answers

0 votes
Kevin Brill February 10, 2022

POP/IMAP are not viable options moving forward with JIRA? We are migrating to an environment that supports only EWS. This feature has been requested since 2018! Is there any chance that this will be added?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2022

No, it's more that "EWS is not a viable option moving forward". 

It may be in the future, but a glance at the backlog of open requests, sorted by the number of votes finds it having 375ish issues more desired by the end users.

The age of an issue is not something that feeds into the prioritisation of the requests.  Votes are considered, so please go vote, but bear in mind that Server is going away, so Atlassian are going to be listening a lot more to DC users in this project (whom, in my experience, almost all use IMAPS)

If you want to look at age, check out https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-3821 - that one took 15 years to make it to server/DC, and still isn't fully implemented in Cloud...

You'll need to talk to your Exchange admins, they can enable POP3 or IMAP on it (even if it's only for one mailbox).  If they won't do it, you'll need to think about a relay.  I've never had to do that with Exchange - when I've encountered the refusal, I've not been alone - there's always been dozens of other systems in the estate saying "nope, you need to provide IMAPS/POP3 for our systems to work" and it's never been hard to get them to enable the better protocols.  Where I have created a relay, it was for Lotus Notes (shudder)

Like Vishwas likes this
Kevin Brill February 11, 2022

Nic,

Thank you for your reply. We have not had JIRA service desk very long and from the sound of will be moving onto something else before too long.

I know this issue is not important or popular so I answered my own question.

Our new system is accredited and part of that does not include the use of POP/IMAP.

We will start looking for a new solution that will meet our needs.

Thank you for the explanation and help.

Kevin B

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

Jira is not an email service, there's no way to use it as an email server.

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

Hi @Gilad Shtern 

Looks like configuring EWS in mail handler is not an option yet, it is still a feature request for Atlassian here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68068 please check out this and vote for that.

Regards,

Vishwas 

Kevin Brill July 7, 2023

We found a workaround is using middleware to provide the functionality that we needed since JIRA has zero interest in addressing this. DAVMAIL will allow you to connect your JIRA instance to Exchange.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2023

You can still connect your Jira instance to Exchange, when Exchange is configured to support standard email protocols, as it should be.

Kevin Brill July 7, 2023

I am sorry, but our environment only supports EWS and I understand JIRA does not want to which I stated above. Saying "support standard email protocols, as it should be" is  not helpful, subjective and a waste of time typing. Thank you.

Suggest an answer