Comments disappears in JIRA software cloud based ticket

Shawn April 9, 2020

Many of my colleagues reported that their comments disappeared after they were posted to JIRA. However, I did not find any saving and deleting logs in the activity. Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

Hi @Shawn 

Comments don't have as much of an audit trail as other fields - but whilst creation and editing are not in the issue history, deleting should come up.

Check on an issue where a comment has disappeared - view the issue history and look for where a comment has been modified from the comment text to blank - this is tracking the deletion.

See if there is evidence of this and if not - let us know.

Personally, I set the permission scheme to not allow deletion of comments - but I'd suggest at least ensuring users don't have permission to delete each other's comments.

Ste

Shawn April 13, 2020

I didn't see any blank in the issue history. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

Hi @Shawn

Are you on the new or old issue view?

If the new view (including on Next-Gen) it actually states "<User> deleted a Comment"

If you cannot locate where a comment is edited to blank, perhaps look for "deleted" in the history instead.

Ste

Shawn April 13, 2020

I didn't see "deleted".

Why can't I upload screenshot in this ticket? I want to show you the screenshot.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2020

Hi @Shawn 

You should be able to select the camera icon in the formatting bar when responding to me to add a screenshot :)

Ste

Shawn April 13, 2020

Yes. I tried. However, after selecting the picture, nothing happens.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2020

Hi @Shawn 

Strange!

If however you don't have delete history at all, it'll be difficult to locate the issue.

Past this, I think it would be best to contact https://support.atlassian.com/ so they can explore this issue further for you!

Ste

Suggest an answer