Changing the type from Story to a Bug

Ketaki Naik April 12, 2018

Hello, is there a way in Jira that will change the ticket "TYPE" from Story to Bug ? we have raised a ticket , which is Bug but its been mistakenly raised as Story and i dont  find any way to change it to Bug again!

Any help with this regard will be appreciated..!

Ta!

4 answers

8 votes
Trisha Pan January 19, 2023

I know this is an old discussion but it still came up during my search and the responses mislead me into thinking that it still wasn't possible. But confirming that you can now easily change the issue type!!

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 4.28.22 PM.png

Mark J Nicoll May 30, 2023

This worked for me. Thanks for the image too, made it so much easier to find. 

2 votes
Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2018

If you don't have the "issue type" field on your screen you won't be able to change it. Add that field to your screen and you should be able to.

The other way to do it would be to "move" the issue to the new issue type. 

I hope that helps.

Thanks , i tried move and I could change it!

Vansh Saxena September 15, 2022

can you share the steps please?

Leonardo Ostan February 13, 2023

Now it's possible to change the type!

0 votes
Nabil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2018

Hi Ketaki,

The issue types cannot be changed because it is either using different workflows/field configurations as explained in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/some-issue-types-are-unavailable-due-to-incompatible-field-configuration-and-or-workflow-associations-278692623.html

So you would need to move the issues instead. Reason being, if you have a different workflow with different status names for Story and Bug and you change the issue type from Story to Bug, what should be the status of the issue when the issue type is changed?

Deleted user November 13, 2019

Just set the status to the initial status in the new workflow and let the user decide. It would be enormously useful to have this functionality.

Like # people like this
Doug Zirbel July 29, 2022

It makes sense to allow Issues that were inadvertently as the wrong IssueTyp to be changed to the correct IssueType.  Making users "cancel" them and start over does not make sense.

Nabil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2022

Hi Doug, it's not necessary to start over, you could move the issue to the same project but changing the issue type: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/move-an-issue/

Like Doug Zirbel likes this
0 votes
Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2018

Under Administration>Issues select "Issue Type Screen Schemes" and find the scheme associated with the project you are working in then click on configure. Does the Issue type Story have the same Screen Scheme as Bug? If so, then you should be able to just edit the issue type field in the issue (assuming you have permission). If the schemes are different then you can try using move.

In the issue there should be a "More" button. Click on the button and below "Convert to Sub-task" should be an option to "Move". You should be able to move the issue to story and choose what to do with fields that are present/required in one scheme and not the other. 

Thanks , i tried move and I could change it!

But i did not understand first part u mentioned

Under Administration>Issues select "Issue Type Screen Schemes" and find the scheme associated with the project you are working in then click on configure.

I am unable to understand that. could not find Administration ? sorry I am new to Jira

Like Kowsalyadevi Veerarao likes this

Suggest an answer