Changing Project Type from Service Desk to Software?

Luke December 8, 2021

Hi all,

As my team is moving from Jira Server to a newer product, I'm looking to change my project type from a Service Desk project to a Software Project. I've read here and there that this can't be done, but I assume that is in Cloud as I can see I have the option to in settings?

I'm wondering if anybody has done this before - are there are any risks /issues associated with doing this? Of course I expect the Portal to break, and SLA information to vanish from tickets, but outside of that, is there anything I should look out for? Additionally, will this have any impact on my future move to Cloud/DC?

Here are some things I plan to test before going through with this in prod:

• Workflows (make sure everything goes through okay)
  • Custom Fields
  • Dashboards
  • Kanban Boards
  • Epic Links + Issue Links in general

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

Hi Luke,

Things you should look out for is permissions, notification, and e-mail setup. The permission and notification will significantly be different. Also, e-mail processing will need to be done through the Jira mail handler instead.

Doing clean up like this is better for the cloud. Putting projects where they should be and maintaining the instance is part of the formula in getting to the cloud smoother.

DC is more easier.

If you want to make sure expectation are set to the exact way you want, you can create a software project to the exact specifications and just bulk move the issues over if it's not a whole lot issues to move over. Not a whole lot meaning less than 1k.

-Ben

Suggest an answer