Can you have Test cases instead of Stories progressing in a Sprint?

SHRIPAD KULKARNI July 22, 2019

I am trying to work with a team who use Epic -> Test case model and might not be accommodate changes. 

My suggestion to the team was to have User Stories under Epic and have Test Cases linked to the User stories. That's the model I know works easy for Sprint activity tracking.

Has anyone come across instance where you can have Test Case (linked to an Epic as child) to progress in the Sprint?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2019

Hello @SHRIPAD KULKARNI 

Ideally Epics should have stories as children and test cases linked to stories as you have mentioned. But if the team is adamant and doesn't like changes and if they are a purely QA team then yes, they can have test cases as direct children of the Epics and as part of active sprint. Since test cases can also be normal issue types thus he team can estimate on the test cases and have all the sprint reports working for test cases instead of stories.

SHRIPAD KULKARNI July 22, 2019

Thank you Tarun. 

Quick question; would it be able to give details such as Sprint velocity etc as a regular Sprint report would reflect data pertaining to user stories and scope creep?

Suggest an answer