Can we hide Resolved (Done) column in Kanban board

Shaun Wickramaratne January 24, 2016

Just wondering, is there a way that we can hide the Resolved (Done) Column in Kanban board. Currently at my work place, we have thousands of solved issues under this column and it seems put down the speed of loading the page. As those are already solved and no longer important, just wondering to hide the entire column. But still it will be a part of the workflow. Is there any way that I can hide this column from users?

Thanks

3 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2016

You probably don't want to do that, because hiding the column means you can't drag issues to done any more

Two better options

1.  Use Kanban as intended - click "release" regularly to push the done issues off the board (a couple of teams I know do it after their regular progress report meetings, as they can show people what they've done since the last one, then clear it.  Others tie it to actual releases.  Some just do it because it's Friday, so they have a clean slate Monday)
  2. Change the board filter to exclude issues based on a field.  JIRA should be set up to set a resolution on all done issues, so you could add "and resolution is empty" to the board filter.
Shaun Wickramaratne January 24, 2016

Thanks Nic Brough [Adaptavist],

Great. I went with the second option you mentioned and very easy fix at the end.

Great, appreciated your information and time.

Cheers,

Shaun W. 

Fede Serbin March 22, 2019

Hi, I cant find the option to change the board filter to exclude issues based on a field. I am using Jira Core Cloud. Can you help me? Thanks!!

Rafa January 3, 2020

@Fede Serbin  

In the Board Settings > General > Edit Filter Query

There you can click on "Switch to JQL" if the normal filters are not enough.

1 vote
Benjamin Bykowski March 19, 2019

I did something similar to option 2 above. In our case, items that have a status of "Done" are considered complete even if they aren't released. There are other completed/final states "Approved" and "Rejected" and for those we want them to be visible. 

The main issue we saw was that items in an Epic would not update the progress bar of the Epic in the backlog unless the status was mapped to a column in the KanBan board. So I combined some queries in the KanBan board Sub-filter:

(fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY) AND status != Done

So items that transition to Done don't clutter up the board while still counting towards the progress filter. 

Troy Sporcic October 5, 2020

how would you include Canceled as well I tried a few ways but doesnt work

Benjamin Bykowski October 5, 2020

When you are viewing the board, click the three dots in the upper right corner and select "Board settings" and in the General section, scroll to the Kanban board sub-filter.

Edit this query and add the criteria you need. You'll need to have a status of "Canceled" in your case, but whatever the case, this query will hide issues that match your criteria from the board. 

Troy Sporcic October 6, 2020

Thanks Benjamin, I tried to include both Done and Canceled but didnt work if I just have Done then Canceled showed if I did Canceled only then done showed when using both they all showed up so any ideas on the query to use?

0 votes
Mike@BLS May 10, 2019

From my point of view the easiest way is to configure the general settings of the board:

Jira_Board_Filter.png

Gerard Manzanares May 20, 2019

I'm not seeing this option at all. Where can it be found?

Mike@BLS May 20, 2019

Click on [Board -> Configure]

Board.JPG

and go to [Configuration -> General]

Configure.JPG

Make sure you have the rights to configure the board ;-)

Like Gerard Manzanares likes this
Gerard Manzanares May 20, 2019

I do not have those options. I have slightly different ones. I do own the board, and the project!

Thank you for your response! :)

ohyeahdood.png

Mike@BLS May 20, 2019

Maybe it depends on the jira version :-/

We use Jira v7.13.1

Like Gerard Manzanares likes this
Gerard Manzanares May 21, 2019

Thank you again for your replies. We are using Jira Cloud, so I assume latest. I tried looking up the version, but it apparently doesn't display the version in the cloud :P

I think this is a Cloud issue however.

Thank you so much again for your reply.

Like Arun Kumar likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events