Can we add a time interval - that we want the next step to happen after a certain no. of days?

ANISH TANEJA July 20, 2022

As shown in the screen shot example below, want I want is, I want to add a time interval to the automation rule, wherein I want a certain step to happen after (lets say 5 days or 7 days (a week later)).

So, in this rule, I filter out a list of issues my my criteria and issue type is equal to 'Story' and then send an email that these stories will be deleted, but then I want that there should a time gap when the next step happens (in this case, those user stories will get deleted)

JIRA AUTOMATION TIME INTERVAL.png

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2022

Hi @ANISH TANEJA -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Automation rules do not work that way, with the ability to pause execution for an indefinite period of time.

Instead consider having two rules:

1. One rule detects the pending action, sends a notification for the pending action
  2. Another rule which detects the condition (including that the time period has expired) and then perform the action

A variation of this approach is to have rule #1 mark issues somehow (e.g. some field change) so that they are not picked up to send more notifications and can be later picked up by rule #2, as needed.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer