Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can't see Story option while creating an issue

Hi,

I've created a number of projects in Jira, they were all created as Basic Software projects, this option does not provide the "story" option when creating an issue. It looks like under the Scrum option it does, is it possible to enable stories in the Basic option or is it possible to convert the project from Basic to Scrum?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote

The project templates are just templates, they create a load of schemes for the project you are creating.

There is no reason you can or should not modify the created projects to suit you better.  If you want an issue type of Story, go ahead and add it.  Go to project admin and look for the "issue type scheme".  Go into that, and add Story to it.  (You may need to create a new issue type if you don't have it already)

Awesome, thank you Nic! That worked.

SORTED NOW THANKS

Found under Project settings>Issue types > +add issue type

I am very new to this. I am working through a tutorial for the first time. My Jira account is not giving me the option to Create  a story. The only options in the drop down are Epic or Task. I have edited the default issue type scheme to include Story. It does not include Task, which does appear in the Dropdown. 

I clicked on the Associate link, which tells me "No projects available to be associated with scheme Default Issue Type Scheme."

What am I missing please?

Like Andre Araujo likes this

Ok, a bit of a ramble on this one:

There are three "layers" (my word, not Atlassian's) of issue type in Jira Software:

• Epic
  • Issue
  • Sub-task

(only really two layers in Jira Service Management or plain Jira Core - without Software, Epics are the same level as issues).

In the issue and sub-task layers, you can create many types of issue in a global list.  As an example, most Jira systems I run into have Issue level types called Issue, Story, Feature, and then sub-task level has types of sub-task and technical-task.  (They almost all also have "task" as an issue type too, but it's a coin-toss as to whether they're Issue or sub-task level)

One you have this global list of issue types, projects can use them to decide what issue types to offer you when you go to create (or edit or move) issues.  So, you can get different option lists depending on the project. 

Let's imagine you have a scheme that says your project can use:

• Epic
  • Task
  • Story
  • Config (sub-task level)
  • Technical task (sub-task level)

This is where the level of type starts to matter.  When you go into "create issue", from the menu, or several other places, you will only be offered Epic, Task and Story.

This is because the sub-task level types are part of their parent issue and cannot be created outside a parent.  The basic create screen is not in the context of an existing issue, and hence cannot be used to create a sub-task level issue because it doesn't know what the parent might be

I'd argue for an issue-picker to appear myself, one that mandates you select an issue from all the unresolved issue level issues, but that's an improvement, not part of this explanation.

To create a sub-task level issue, you need to go into the parent you want it to be a part of, and use "create subtask" in there.  You will then be asked to select between Config and Technical task for the issue type.

I suspect your task type are sub-tasks, so they cannot be just created, they need to start from an existing issue level issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Asked in Jira Service Management

JSM June ask me anything (AMA)

Hello Community members! We’re wrapping up the end of JSM June with an Ask Me Anything (AMA) with the Jira Service Management product team. This is your chance to ask all your ITSM questions to o...

309 views 13 14
View question

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you