Can I start a Jira Core project from the regular 'Jira Software'?

Liran Biderman February 7, 2021

My company currently has the regular 'Jira Software' solution, implemented only for R&D teams.
I'm trying to see if we can implement Jira for our CS & Biz Dev teams and read that Jira Core may be suitable, but I don't understand whether I can do that through our current solution, and if so- How?

Thank you very much for the help community ;-)

Liran.

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2021

Hi Liran - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Jira Software licenses also include Jira Core. 

Jira Core is for Business project types only. Those projects have a variety of templates available when creating a new project to get you off to a little more focused start perhaps. But there is less flexibility especially for boards with Business/Core projects. 

Classic Software projects which come with Jira Software licenses is the most flexible of all projects but involves a little more knowledge. 

So, if you already have Jira Software, then you already have Jira Core. It just depends on which types of projects you want to create. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2021

Glad we could help!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2021

HI @Liran Biderman ,

Yes, you should be able to get Jira Core licenses. I recommend reading this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-vs-jira-core-license.

From this document:

For licensing: Business users who are not doing any agile or development work can simply leverage JIRA Core licenses. You can buy Core licenses separately. For those who will access both sorts of projects, they have to buy JIRA Software licenses, and cannot simply have Core licenses. JIRA Software users can access both types of projects

0 votes
Liran Biderman February 7, 2021

Thanks a lot for the responses, both of you!
Super helpful ;-)

Suggest an answer