Can I create a monthly/quarterly/yearly overview of tasks in Jira Core?

Emma November 20, 2019

Hello,

I and my marketing team are currently in our trial period of Jira Core to see if this tool fits us well. So far we are very happy with what Jira Core can do for us, but we miss one very important thing, that is: some kind of calendar view that shows all the tasks we are working on. That way we can organize our planning and communicate this within our organisation.

I've already tried the plugin 'calendar' but it seems that this is somewhat an agenda for all my tasks + meetings. I am looking for something that does this for the team and reflects all the tasks that we have put into Jira Core.

Does anybody have any tips on how to achieve a calendar overview for my marketing that includes all tasks and subtasks in Jira Core?

Thanks very much in advance!

3 answers

0 votes
Markus Günther April 15, 2021

Hi folks, jumping back to the original heading: what about a yearly view? I have the same issue, I would like to display filter results in a calender, but currently I can only see 30 days. I would need to have a yearly overview what we have planned, ideally with a possibility to differentiate different labels.

any recommendations here?

0 votes
Emma November 24, 2019

Hello @Petter Gonçalves,

thank you for replying on my question! It looks as if the gadget Calendar for Jira - Plan Team Activities is something that solves my problem :) I will try it out, thanks!

Regards,

Emma

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2019

You are welcome, Emma!

Please, let us know if it fulfills your needs or you would like to take a look at some other options/apps that can provide you with similar functionality.

Emma December 3, 2019

Hello @Petter Gonçalves ,

As we are using Jira Core, we are working with tasks and subtasks. I believe this calendar is made for issues. How can I put tasks and subtasks in the calendar?

Thanks,

Emma

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2019

Hello Emma,

Thank you for your answer.

Please, allow me to provide you with some concepts about "issues" and the calendar gadget:

"Issue" is a general word used to define the small portions of work in Jira. It could be of the type Tasks, sub-tasks, Stories, bugs, etc. You can have multiple issue types in your Site, as mentioned in the documentation below:

issue Types  

That being said, the Issue Calendar Gadget return any kind of issue types, including Tasks and sub-tasks. In order to display your tasks in the gadget, you only need to add them with a valid value for the field you selected in the Date to Display parameter of the gadget. Let me give you an example:

Let's suppose you configured your Issue Calendar Gadget to be based in the Due Date field. Only issues with a valid due date value will be displayed in the calendar, on the respective day it was configured to.

Let us know if it makes sense.

Emma December 4, 2019

Hello Petter,

thank you. I am sorry but I still didn't manage to get my tasks automatically in the calendar.

What I do now is that I drag and drop my tasks in the calendar. But tasks that are already done, are still in the list of tasks therefore I do not have an overview of the tasks that are in progress or still to do.

Maybe can you tell me how I can configure my issue calendar gadget to be based in the due date field? It sounds like that is what I am looking for...

Thanks again, Petter!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2019

Hello Emma,

You should be able to configure your Issue Calendar Gadget to be based in Due Date by simply selecting it in the edit settings:

1 - Click to Edit the gadget:

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 12.16.16.png

2 - Select the Due date in the "date to display" field

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 12.24.33.png

If you see anything different from the screenshots above, please provide us some screenshots so we can better understand what might be causing your issue.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2019

Hello @Emma

Thank you for reaching out.

In order to display all your issues in a calendar, Jira has the Issue Calendar Gadget, that displays the issues in the calendar based on the field date you want (issue Created, Updated, Due date, etc):

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 16.48.35.png

As you can see in the example above, the issues are displayed with a square symbol in the calendar - P.S: Its name and summary are displayed when you hover the mouse in the symbols. You can check the documentation below to know how you can add this gadget to your Dashboard:

Using dashboard gadgets 

Now if you want to have more details of the issues in the calendar, I suggest you try the app Calendar for Jira - Plan Team Activities:

If none of the options above achieve your need, please let us know the exact feature you are looking for so I can check any other options for you.

Suggest an answer