Can I copy the value of one custom field to another using Automation for JIRA?

Deleted user January 23, 2017

When a task is created, I want the reporter field value copied over to the impacted user. Can I do this with Automation for JIRA?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2017

Hi Saskia,

Yes you can certainly copy a user field across on create.  Here's an example rule:

Project automation - Code Barrel JIRA 2017-01-24 08-45-49.png

So I simply used the edit issue action to set the 'Reviewers' user custom field (in your case this would be 'Impacted user').  The trick then is to use a smart-value to set the reporter.  Simply type this in the field:

{{issue.fields.reporter.key}}

When the rule executes, this will be evaluated to be the username of the reporter of the issue that was created. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Andreas

Robert Carey October 31, 2018

Hi,

I am trying to do something similar. I need to take the child value from a custom Cascading Select List and copy it to the Application Name field when the issue is created.

FYI I am a novice when it comes to Automation. When I search for the Cascading Select List 1 I am unable to find it in the Choose Fields to set section.

thank you 

Robert

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

Hello @Robert Carey ,

Did you find your solution I need to implement the same thing but could reach it so far ?

- which plug in do you use fro cascading select ?

- I need to fillup the summary field with all value from each cascading select field

regards

Angela Dillard May 5, 2023

I am looking for help with JSON to do similar - split a custom cascading field into two customer text only fields so that I can pull them into Advanced Roadmaps and reports.  Anyone can help?

0 votes
Vinod Honnalli August 4, 2020

Hi @andreas ,

I am facing issue when i am trying to copy value of manager field  to Approvers field in jira cloud automation.

I am not bale to do so by using below smart values, could you please suggest the right method. it would be of great help.

{
"fields": {
"customfield_15601": [{ "id": "{{issue.CustomField_15806.value}}" }]
}
}

Note : My manager field holds value from user property field (key:value)

Regards,

Vinod

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events